Monday, June 20, 2016

Les Miserables

Finally got the chance to catch the musical Les Mis live! Such a sensational experience, and a very introspective journey throughout the show. 

Let brevity take its place, or in other words, thoughts can't seem to hit me that deeply yet. My regret: not knowing well enough the lyrics of the various songs (in my defense, I do know really well my favourite songs, namely: On my Own, Do you hear the people sing, Empty tables and Empty chairs, and discovered a new favourite: Javert's Stars, Drink with Me, and Who am I). All the effects, visual and lighting were spectacular! Really brought the musical to life. Perhaps it boils down to Javert being my favourite character, well maybe more of one which I'm most empathetic towards -- he being a highly conflicting character, well played by Earl Carpenter, his suicide scene, along with his soliloquy and the visual effects,  made up one of my favourite scenes. Eponine is one favourite too, and Kerrie Greenland's voice was simply mesmerising. Well versatile she was, sounding really delicate and vulnerable on one end, while masculine and heroic on the other end. A pity was the live music, often, the orchestra seemed rather irresponsive to the nuances in the singing and well, on several occasions, it seemed as if both the voices and music were not in sync, the very worst: the orchestra leading the voices, making it seem hurried and artiscally-lacking. Heheh Maurius' voice (Paul Wilkins) was intoxicating, how attractive! 


Welll the storyline was liberating too. At this juncture, very apt as an agent of thought, drawing the various essential themes of life and spurring one to introspect further.  Personally I love the undying (or dying in context) determination,camaraderie, and the many themes presented. Well I'll write my sentiments sometime, perhaps here, perhaps elsewhere. Thoughts and ideas cant seem to get to me :((( A result of having inane thoughts and the lack of such a need to think, talk about a nine-month break. 


Undoubtedly, t'was a great great night. More adventures ahead to come! 


Ciao! <3


And one magical element I forgot to mention: it's incredulous how so many songs stem from the common motifs this musical has. They all share the same theme and perhaps common harmonic starting-point (musical-wise) and yet can deliver such contrasting emotions. Reminds me how magical music is, and reminds me of how in the first movement of Bee Sonata Op. 7 no. 3, all musical ideas stem from this basical theme. On hindsight, this simple theme connects all the songs, making them cohesive and united in a sense. My words fail terribly in illustrating the wonders of this musical. 


And to end off, here's Philip Quast's wonderful rendition of Stars. I love how this song sheds light on Jarvert's more human and empathetic side, yet sparks off the start of his conflicting dilemma. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxk4mveLCw

No comments:

Post a Comment